These are the tombs of John Keats, English poet, and his close friend Joseph Severn, painter and Consul of England in Rome, at the Non-Catholic Cemetery at the Pyramid in Rome. Severn was a great friend of Ettore Roesler Franz and his brother Alessandro, who was later appointed Consul of England just after him. In the back of the Tomb are engraved the names of his friends Ettore and Alessandro Roesler Franz who contributed – along with other English intellectuals – to the erection of his funerary plate.
On 11 May 1995, for the 150° anniversary of the birth of Ettore Roesler Franz, Poste Italiane have released a special philatelic cancellation, carried out during the show organized by Studio Ottocento in Sala Margana in piazza Margana in Rome, inaugurated by Francesco Rutelli, at the time Mayor of Rome.
Going out from Tivoli and walking along viale Arnaldi and thereupon viale Cassiano, after having passed the Park of Villa Braschi on the left, you will come across a small dead end road on the right, called Strada di Pomata.
Along this road, since the 2nd century BC, Roman villas, as those of Brutus, Cassius and Arcinelli’s, were built. Passed the last one, you enter in Anio Vetus track and, about 300 metres after nr. 12, just beside the road, there is a plaque dedicated to the artist. There is engraved: “In this peaceful place Ettore Roesler Franz, eminent watercolorist, wanted to remember his brother Alessandro, Consul of England. The inheritance of the great master is fulfilled by his only pupil Adolfo Scalpelli-a. MCMVIII “.
In fact, it was layed in 1908 (a year after the death of Ettore) by his only pupil Adolfo Scalpelli, young painter who inherited by Ettore Roesler Franz all sketches, drawings, unfinished watercolors and his photos. Adolfo Scalpelli died in 1917, just 29 years old, in the First World War.
On 16 april 2016, the tombstone has been restored by the Rotary Club Tivoli.
In September 2004 the Mayor of Tivoli, Marco Vincenzi unveiled “Ettore Roesler Franz Staircase”. The flight of piazza Campitelli, adjacent to the side entrance of Villa d’Este, was titled in the name of the artist, as a reminder of the first Centenary of the ordinary citizenship of the town. The ceremony was held in the apartment of the Cardinal at the conclusion of the great exhibition of Villa d’Este of 2004.
Piazza Campitelli, by the way, was represented by the Painter in this watercolor.
In the same year, in Tivoli, also the former Church of San Michele Arcangelo in piazza Palatina – piazza delle Erbe, destined to exhibitions, meetings or cultural spaces, was named after the Artist.
Another restaurant, Consolini, has the Arch of St. Lazarus, depicted by Ettore in this watercolor (#37 of second set of “Vanished Rome” collection) as entrance. Legend has it in the caves of this place took place the titanic struggle between Hercules and Cacus, the son of Vulcan.